Thursday, November 12, 2009

Yesterday...

I know - really inspiring blog title for the day, huh? But yesterday was a bit of a turning point for me, so I'm leaving the title as that.

So when left you yesterday, I was getting ready to work out and then go on a walking field trip with my daughter. Well, I got ten minutes into my workout and the phone rang. Apparently kids can't walk around outside in the rain anymore in case they all melt or something (in spite of the rainwear we were told to send them to school in), so the field trip was cancelled. I finished my workout, and then sat down at the computer.

After about half an hour, I realized that I was bored. I was sitting at the computer, screwing around with half an eye on the TV (one of my worst habits - I can't just sit down and watch TV, I have to be doing something else too) and I got a little bit down that I wasn't going to be going out today like I had planned.

I ahd some laundry to do, so I wandered downstairs to get that done. As I walked past my long abandoned (and slightly despised) treadmill I had an idea. I threw the laundry into the washer and wheeled the treadmill back into it's former spot in front of the TV down there. I plugged it in and started walking. I figured this would be easier since I didn't have to do a whole half hour - I had already worked out, so this was bonus. I sailed through 35 minutes. I jumped off the treadmill, and as I was putting it away (my daughter uses the space to practice gymnastics and bounce around, so I can't leave it out anymore) I saw my exercise ball. My sad, deflated exercise ball.

I rummaged around in the storage area of our basement for a pump. Any kind of pump. In the end the only pump I could find was one of those roadside air compressor things you use when you've got a flat tire. You know, the one that you plug into the cigarette lighter, ensuring that by the time you're done you have both a flat tire and a flat battery. So I took that outside to the car, and sat in the car to inflate the exercise ball. Yes, I felt a little silly (why is it that my neighbors only ever wave hi when I'm doing something strange?) but I ended up with an inflated exercise ball, which I then took upstrairs and bounced around on for a while. I even (gasp) did some exercises on it.

So yesterday ended up being filled with positive action, even though I didn't exactly feel positive at the time.

On that note, a fellow blogger wrote a post that realy touched me yesterday - and was exactly what I was talking about yesterday, but in a much more together and cohesive way. In fact, it sort of made me cry a little. In a good way, of course. In an "I'm really glad I'm not alone" sort of way. Anyway, it's here. While you're there, check the whole blog out - it's awesome.

No comments: